Leader in Me
Leader in Me™ is a whole-school transformation model that acts like the operating system of a computer—it improves the performance of all other programs. Based on The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, The Leader in Me™ equips students with the self-confidence and skills they need to thrive in the 21st-century economy. It was launched in 2011 at the Fort McMurray Public School Division - with École Dickinsfield School and Westview Public School the first to implement the program.
Leader in Me™ process was designed to help teachers develop leadership skills in their students. Helping students discover their own unique strengths allows teachers to find opportunities for every child to shine—to be a leader. Incorporating the common language of the 7 Habits (The 7 Habits of Happy Kids) into all curriculum areas deepens student understanding and acknowledges what the school and teacher believe to be important.
Beacon Hill is an APPLE School and is therefore committed to the promotion of healthy and active lifestyles among all members of our school community. This means that Beacon Hill staff will work with our designated APPLE Schools facilitator to help make healthy choices, easy choices.
See our school’s recently developed Beacon Hill School – Health and Wellness Guidelines for more details as well as the APPLE Schools website.
Beacon Hill School "Health Champion" - Natasha Petruk
Tips For Success at School
Be generous with praise
Observe your child carefully and comment on the things that are done well. When you see an area that needs improvement, find a positive way to talk about it with your child.
Encourage “personal best”
Help your child by encouraging him or her to do the best in school and at home. Remember, “personal best” does not mean “perfect”, and learning is not the same as high grades. Children, like adults, need the freedom to make mistakes and to learn from them.
Make learning a priority
Your attitude toward school attendance, education and involvement in the school makes a strong and lasting impression on your child. Show your child, by example, that learning is a priority.
Show interest in school work
Studies show that kids do better at school when parents are more involved in their education
- Talk about school each day.
- Ask to see classwork.
- Have your child read aloud to you.
- Read to and with your child from a variety of material in your first language.
- Encourage your child to discuss new ideas and opinions.
- Show appreciation for good efforts.
Offer suggestions for success
Help your child use the following strategies to improve performance in school:
- Read the assignment when it is given.
- Keep a list of new vocabulary.
- Proofread assignments to catch errors before writing a final draft.
- Review notes before a test.
Schedule study time
Set up an area for homework away from noise and distractions. Post a family calendar that schedules school project deadlines, after-school activities, mid-term dates, exam periods and report card dates.
2021-2022 Beacon Hill School Supply Ordering
Discover a better way to be ready for Back-to-School.
Trust Staples – everyone’s Back-to-School Headquarters – to come up with a better way
to streamline the process of getting yourself ready.
Staples School Tools provides you with direct access to the school supplies your child will
need – as provided by their actual teachers – and an easy way to order them without ever leaving home.
You’ll save time. You’ll save money. And you’ll have exactly what you need to give your child
the best start possible.
How do you start?
- Go to Staples.ca/SchoolTools
- Find / select your child’s school and classroom.
- Order your child’s supply list when it appears.
- Select free delivery with your paid order, arriving direct to your home within 2-3 days
- Not only will you spend less on supplies, you’ll be covered with a full quality guarantee and replacement warranty on everything you buy. Enjoy the total convenience of ordering from home – complete with free delivery.
- You can also choose to order online and request a store pickup, if you prefer. Either way, the time you save is your own – giving you more of it to spend on getting everybody ready for the big day.
- Choose total convenience and check one thing off your list.
GM, Fort McMurray